The Applied Economics Clinic is a 501(c)(3) non-profit consulting group housed at Tufts University's Global Development and Environment Institute.
Founded in 2017, the Clinic provides expert testimony, analysis, modeling, policy briefs, and reports for public interest groups on the topics of energy, environment, consumer protection, and equity, while providing on-the-job training to a new generation of technical experts.
1. Provide low cost and (when we receive foundation grants) pro bono expert services to public interest groups on the topics of energy, environment, consumer protection, and equity.
2. Train the next generation of expert technical witnesses and analysts by providing applied, on-the-job learning experiences to graduate students in related fields.
3. Work proactively to support and promote diversity in the fields of economics, engineering, math and sciences.
The Applied Economics Clinic is a non-profit organization. We receive funding from two sources:
1. Public Interest Clients: We provide services to public interest clients for low hourly rates. We do our best to keep our rates low by seeking grants and having very low overhead expenses.
2. Foundations: We seek out foundation grants both for general support and to support specific projects. Our ability to do pro bono work depends on foundation grants.
We are grateful to GDAE for providing the Clinic with a physical and intellectual home.
The Global Development And Environment Institute (GDAE – pronounced "gee-day") was founded in 1993 to combine the research and curricular development activities of two Tufts programs: the Program for Sustainable Change and Development in the School of Arts and Sciences and the Center for Environmental and Resource Policy. The combination creates a center of expertise in economics, policy, science and technology. The Institute has produced more than a dozen books and numerous articles, policy documents, and discussion papers. These materials are being used in academic settings, to enhance the teaching of economics and related subjects, and in policy circles, where GDAE researchers are recognized leaders in their fields.
Applied Economics Clinic Director Liz Stanton is a Senior Research Fellow at GDAE.